Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Conversation between Siva Yogaswami and a devotee

"One day I traveled to Jaffna and went to the Ashram at Columbuthurai to see Swami. Swami was seated amidst a few devotees. That day even without my knowledge, I fell spontaneously at His feet and worshipped Him. From that day onwards until He attained Samadhi, whenever I went to see Swami I worshipped Him despite His saying these words, 'It is not necessary to worship in front of people,' and 'It is not necessary to fall on the ground,' and 'It is sufficient if you worship mentally.' (But he was a Guru Bhaktar right? You couldn't stop him from prostrating.) From that day I could not be without falling prostrate and worshipping Him. One day He called me by name and said, 'What is the one thing God cannot do?' I heard this question and remained shocked. When it is said that God is all powerful, (Which is how we started right? God is all powerful, omnipotent.) is there something He cannot do? Swami quietly said, 'You need not answer now; you can give the reply when you come in two days time.'

When I came home that question kept resounding itself. I could think of nothing else. While I was musing over that question, a section I had studied in the Mahabharatha came to my mind. When Krishna asked, 'What can be done to prevent the war?' Sahadevan's reply was the section I recalled. Sahadevan's reply was, 'If I bind you straightway, the war can be prevented.' Then Krishna asked him, 'How will you bind me?' and Sahadevan responded that he would bind Him with a restraining rope of love; this seemed a satisfactory answer to Swami's question. I decided to tell Swami that when God is captured by the love of the devotee, He cannot free Himself. (Think that'll work [...??])

Two days later when I went to see Swami I gave this reply. When He heard my reply Swami said, 'How can that be? You can bind God by love only if love is different from Him. You cannot separate God from love. God is love.' He continued, 'The one act God cannot do is to separate Himself from us even for a moment.' By this device Swami impressed on my heart that God does not separate from us even for a split second and is always with us as the soul of our souls."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beautiful.
God comes in human form to say such words to us.
We spin a coccoon of desires and fears around us, such sages illumine god to us.
thank you for posting this/
devotee,
mona